Head of Department:
Prof. AbdulwahabGiwa, Ph.D. (Turkey), BEng. (Minna), MNSE, COREN, AMIChemE, MIAENG, MSPE
This programme was established in September 2010. By 2013/2014, when the first set of enrolled students were at 300 level, the Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering was formally established to coordinate the professional training in the specialized courses for Chemical Engineering leading to the award of Bachelors in Chemical Engineering.
In January 2015, before the commencement of the final degree examinations leading to the graduation and award of degree of Bachelor of Engineering to the first set of students of the Chemical Engineering Programme, the National Universities Commission (NUC) team visited the department for the accreditation of both Chemical and Petroleum Engineering Programmes. They were impressed with the Department conforming to all activities required for the graduation of the aforementioned degree in any Nigerian university.
The Chemical Engineering programme is staffed with seasoned senior academics in different areas of specialization to contribute their expertise towards the development of the programme and the department in general.
Following the need towards the development of advance professionals for both the academic community and industrial growth, the NUC visited the Department in July 2017 for the resource verification leading to establishment of PDG and M.Eng. in Chemical Engineering. In the 2017/2018 academic session, the Department commenced the Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) in Chemical Engineering programme to enable holders of non-engineering based science degrees to pursue engineering fields with possibility of practicing as engineers and Masters of Engineering (MEng) to advance the studies of Chemical Engineering leading to the development of experts at PhD levels.
The purpose of B.Eng. (Chemical Engineering) degree programme is to produce competent Engineers who are of high moral standard. This will be achieved through the familiarization of students with the basic theoretical and practical tools and techniques required for excellent performance in the chemical and petrochemical process industries, oil and gas processing and allied industrial operations.
- To provide a highly motivated academic environment that encourages the academically minded to pursue further studies and research in Chemical Engineering.
- To develop role models in the engineering profession and manpower for the country.
- To contribute to the supply of academic and professional Chemical Engineers both for Nigerian Universities and Industries.
- Chemical Analysis Laboratory
- Unit Operations Laboratory
- Chemical Reaction Laboratory
- Transport Phenomena Laboratory
- Process systems Engineering
- Separation Process
- Environmental Systems Engineering
- Biochemical Systems Engineering
- Process Modelling and Optimization