Professor Samuel A. Ola, M.E.Sc., Ph.D.(Toronto), FNSE., MCOREN.,P.Eng. (Ontario)
This department was established in September 2010. Having received approval from the National Universities Commission (NUC) for the B.Eng. programme in the College of Engineering Afe Babalola University, the Department of Civil Engineering commenced the B.Eng. programme in Civil Engineering during the 2010/2011 academic session. All courses offered are in line with COREN/NUC prescribed syllabus for Civil Engineering programme. We have full accreditation by COREN and NUC for Civil Engineering programme. The Department of Civil Engineering where the programme is situated utilizes and applies basic concepts of science in functional and dynamic sense through the integration of theoretical and experimental training towards the optimal realization in the chosen field for maximum benefit to the individual, community and humanity. The pioneering class graduated in 2014/2015 session.
Civil engineering is the broadest, oldest and mother of the engineering fields. Civil engineers build the world’s infrastructure by touching many aspects of our everyday lives. In doing so, they quietly shape the history of nations around the world. Before the middle of the 18th century, large-scale construction work was usually placed in the hands of military engineers. Military engineering involved such work as the preparation of topographical maps, the location, design, and construction of roads and bridges; and the building of forts and docks. In the 18th century, however, the term civil engineering came into use to describe engineering constructive work that was performed by civilians for non-military purposes. Most people cannot imagine life without the many contributions of civil engineers to the public’s health, safety and standard of living.
The Philosophy of B.Eng. (Civil Engineering) degree programme is in consonant with the overall philosophy of Afe Babalola University, which can be summarized as “production of civil engineers who appreciate the value of the dignity of labour and who are problem solvers, self-reliant, high moral standard, employers of labour, highly productive and globally relevant in every sphere of human endeavor”. This programme is to provide the basic undergraduate education required for self-reliant, private practice, public service and postgraduate studies in various branches of civil engineering such as structural engineering, geotechnical engineering, transportation and highway engineering, water resources and environmental engineering, construction and management engineering for the improvement of the human environment for the purpose of making our activities productive, safe, enjoyable, and providing aesthetically pleasing surroundings.
The Graduates in Civil Engineering have the opportunities of getting employment to work on wide variety of engineering tasks including designing, supervision, consultancy and construction activities of public works like roads, bridges, tunnels, buildings, airports, dams, structures, water resources engineering works, sewage systems, ports, environmental engineering, foundation engineering works and so on. Civil engineers are employed in all the major construction projects carried out by the State or Federal Government, private construction companies, military, engineering services and consultancy services with the basic theoretical and practical tools and techniques required for excellent performance in their future professional work.
The broad objectives of the B.Eng. Civil Engineering Programme are to:
- Produce competent graduates with integrity and adequate character that will have global impact in the field of civil engineering.
- Contribute to the supply of academic and professional Civil Engineers both for Nigerian Universities and the Nigerian Industries in order to develop manpower for the country and the world at large.
- Produce role model, self-reliant and excellence civil engineers with adequate technical skills, fundamental concepts relevant to latest development, entrepreneurial competences, a sense of public responsibility, communication skills and management skills to handle national and international issues in civil engineering.
- Strengthen education, research and practical exposure in Civil Engineering and Technology in order to eradicate failures and corruptions in Nigeria.
- Develop technical knowledge, sense of analysis, evaluation, planning and creative design abilities, in various ways that can contribute to the development of a more satisfying life and environment for the benefit of mankind.
- Nurture partnership between the institution and industry for effective programme delivery which will provide broad–based foundation in Engineering and Technology as well as specialized knowledge and practice in various aspects of civil engineering.
TheCivil Engineering programme have modern equipment and facilities to support research and teaching in the following laboratories;
- Materials Engineering Laboratory
- Structural Engineering Laboratory
- Geotechnical EngineeringLaboratory
- Hydraulics Laboratory
Selected Student Projects
- Effect of aggregate gradation and compaction technique on the properties of pervious concrete
- Reduction of traffic queue time at intersections using adaptivetraffic signal control
- Design of an automatic stream flow recorder for River Ureje and the water challenges in Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti.
- Reduction of road network chaos by intelligent transport system using variable message signal
- Effect of borrow pits excavation on the environment
- Conditions of drinkable water sources in selected communities in Ado-Ekiti and required treatment for potability
Our departmental members and students are actively engaged in research in the following areas.
- Environmental Engineering
- Hydraulics Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation and Highway Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering