HOD: Engr. Prof A.A. Aderoba (B.Tech. (Hons) Loughborough, MEng, PhD (Illinois), CEng, MIMechE, MIProdE, MNSE, MBIM, FNIEM, FNIMech.
The Department was established in September 2010. The Department has experienced staff with valuable contributions to Engineering education and industries in Nigeria. The Head of Department, Engr. Prof A.A. Aderoba, has spent over four decades in the University system and in various management capacities. He is an industrialist who has established some industries vital to national local content development. He is an accomplished industrialist and is editor in chief of national Engineering journals.
The purpose of Mechanical Engineering degree program is to produce competent Mechanical Engineers who are of high moral standard. This will be achieved through the familiarization of students with the basic theoretical and practical tools and techniques required for excellent performance in their future professional work.
The program objectives are to:
- provide a highly motivated academic environment that encourages the academically minded to pursue further studies and research in the field of Mechanical Engineering
- Develop role models in the Engineering profession and manpower for the country
- Contribute to the supply of academic and professional Mechanical Engineers both for Nigerian universities and industries.
The department possesses well equipped laboratories to enable acquisition of practical skills. The laboratories includes:
- Production Laboratory
- Thermofluids Laboratory
- The FESTO Laboratory
- Design Studio
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Lab
- Thermo-fluids Lab.
- Metallurgical Lab
- Strength of Materials
- Metrology and Instrumentation Lab
- Ergonomics and Work-study Lab
- Mechanics of Machines Lab
Selected Student Projects
- Biogas Digester Plant
- Organic Fertilizer Processing Plant
- Rotary Dryer
- Roots and Tuber Slicer
- Biodiesel Processor
- Groundnut Frying/Packing Machine
- Wood Lathe Machine
- Paint Mixing Machine
- Water De-Ionizer Machine
- Automated Car Parking System
- Cassava Dewatering Machine
The research interests of Staff in the department of Mechanical Engineering include:
- Production Engineering
- Materials/Metallurgical Engineering
- Energy and Thermofluids Engineering
- Solid Mechanics and Machine Design
- Environmental Engineering
- Automobile Engineering